Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

(Pity) Party Central


So it’s down to the final week. 
The last couple of days of that full-time management job. 
And the attacks reigned down on my self-esteem.


What my heart heard this past week was: “Things didn’t work out the way we expected.  We are hoping to replace you with someone better.  More experienced.  Better suited.”

My mind screams, “WAIT!!  Wasn’t I the one to turn in my resignation?  Didn’t I accept God’s calling to follow my dream?  Wasn’t I good enough before?”

My feelings are hurt.  I get frustrated.  I get angry.  Actually, I down-right throw a pity party.  As a result, I revert back to old ways, doing what I have always done: allowing myself to come undone. (Really. As if that solves anything!)

First, I stop writing down what I eat.  Then, I make an excuse about that next bite not counting (I deserve it, right?), and then another excuse about not exercising.  I am STRESSED!  Plus, I have homework to do when I get home from work.  Everyone knows you need snack food while you are writing papers and doing school work (well, at least chips, popcorn, peanuts, or something salty).

What a mess!  When I rely on my own strength, I fail. Period. As I have over and over again.   

This week, however, I didn’t go into a tailspin. There was a difference.  The pity party didn’t last as long.  

Why?  

First, I had accountability.  By some godly sisters in Christ (sweet sisters of Group 19!).  For someone who does not have a best friend that I talk to regularly & spend time with, it is amazing to be a part of a community of women online who can help encourage you when you are down and speak Truth and words of life over you.

Second, I was challenged by this week’s scripture from Made to Crave:

But he [Jesus] said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong (2 Corinthians 12:9-10). 

I had to remind myself that I am not alone.  The power of the living God resides in me… that life giving, resurrection power!  And His power is made perfect in my weakness.  I don’t have to be strong!  In fact, in 2 Corinthians, Paul is even boasting about being weak!!

So when things don’t go my way, when they don’t seem fair, or when I am starting to feel attacked, I need to call it for what it is: Spiritual Warfare.  When these battles are raging inside me, I should never attempt to face them in my own strength.  It’s the DUH factor.  If Christ’s power is in me, why am I not asking Him for strength???  If Christ is for me, who can be against me?  DUH!!!  


So when I woke up this morning, the Lord gave me a song, as He so often does.  It’s Jamie Grace’s song “Hold Me”.  I hope that you will give it a listen and that it will bring a smile to your face the same way that it did to mine this morning.  Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself and go, “Ahhhh, I get it now!!”  Thank you, LORD!

Jamie Grace:  Hold Me

10 comments :

  1. I have had those same thoughts every time I start a new job adventure - I always wonder what negative things they're saying about me now that I'm gone. Such stinkin thinkin. Thanks for reminding me that it just doesn't have to be that way. I don't have to think that way! Good luck in pursuing your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that Stinkin' Thinkin' - gets us into so much trouble!!! Now that I am on my first day ever as unemployed, that was such a good reminder to keep looking forward. Looking UP. Thanks, Jill :-)

      Delete
  2. Wendy,
    This is so true. We do need to lean on the strength of our Lord! We can do anything with the help of our wonderful Lord. Love this song it is one of my favs! God Bless, Jamie Rogers (Group 50)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie! Leaning on the Lord and into our sisters in Christ. Go Group 50!

      Delete
  3. Wendy - YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Thanks for sharing your story...and (mostly) your faith. I am NOT one who like changes, but I know stepping out of the boat is SO important for growth. Since you've been musical this week, here's a song that God's been placing on my heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTu8twnGvU. Have a great week! ~ Miriam of http://cravingsconfidential.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS!!!!! Cranked this song up!!!! It should automatically play when you hit my blog :-)

      "What are you waiting for? What do you have to lose? ... You know you're made for more, so don't be afraid to move. Your faith is all it takes and you can Walk on the Water too!"

      Thanks so much for sharing, Miriam! Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Wendy you are so strong! You are also encouraging, I am just so blessed that God bright you in to my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, you are such an inspiration. I am the one who is blessed, my awesome OBS leader. You keep being faithful, and God will continue to do mighty things through one amazing girl from Indiana...

      Delete
  5. Way to go!!!! Wendy!!! Recognizing the spiritual warfare & STOPPING the pity party !!
    Love that your OBS group is supportive!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sherri, Once I got rid of that Stinkin' Thinkin' (as Jill called it above), I could be happy as I left! I could only recognize it as Spiritual Warfare through prayer and writing it down. It leapt of the page at me, so I could call it for what it was and move on! And, oh yes, the girls of Group 19 are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete